Are you tired of the default app icons cluttering your smartphone’s home screen? Do you wish you could add a personal touch to your device by customizing your app icons? You’re in luck! In this article, we will guide you through the steps to transform the look of your app icons on both iOS and Android devices, allowing you to express your unique style and preferences.
Customizing App Icons on iOS (iPhone and iPad)
iOS allows for limited customization of app icons using the Shortcuts app. While it won’t change the actual app icons, it offers a creative workaround to create custom shortcuts with different icons.
- Create a Shortcut:
- Open the Shortcuts app on your iOS device (if it’s not already installed, you can download it from the App Store).
- Tap the “+” button to create a new shortcut.
- Tap “Add Action” to choose the app you want to customize.
- Edit the Shortcut Name and Icon:
- Tap on the placeholder shortcut name (which is “Untitled Shortcut” by default) and give it a name.
- To change the icon, tap the icon to the left, then select “Choose Photo” to upload a custom image from your photo library.
- Add to Home Screen:
- Tap the three dots (ellipsis) in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Select “Add to Home Screen.”
- You can further customize the shortcut name if needed.
- Choose an Icon Image:
- Tap the icon to the left, then select “Choose Photo” and upload your desired icon image.
- Adjust the image using the pinch-to-zoom and move it to position it within the frame.
- Add to Home Screen:
- Tap “Add” in the upper-right corner, and your customized app shortcut will be added to the home screen.
Customizing App Icons on Android Devices
Android devices offer more flexibility when it comes to customizing app icons, as they allow you to change icons without using third-party launchers.
- Long-Press on the App Icon:
- On your home screen, long-press the app icon you want to customize.
- Select “Edit” or “Change”:
- A menu will appear with various options, including “Edit” or “Change” (the wording might differ based on your device’s software).
- Choose an Icon Pack or Image:
- Select the option to change the icon.
- You can choose from a selection of pre-installed icon packs or browse your device for custom icon images.
- Apply the Change:
- Select the new icon you want to use, and confirm the change.
- The app icon will now be replaced with your chosen custom icon.
- Optional: Create Folders or Organize:
- To maintain an organized look, you can create folders and group apps with similar custom icons together.
Customizing your app icons is a creative way to personalize your device and make it uniquely yours. While iOS offers some customization through the Shortcuts app, Android provides more flexibility and allows you to change app icons directly from the home screen. Whether you want to use your own photos, download icon packs, or experiment with various styles, these customization options empower you to design your smartphone’s interface according to your tastes and preferences.